Friday, June 10, 2011

Thought #6- Have you smiled today?

Hello little warriors! I've been shopping at my community garage sale today and found so many things which just brought a smile to my face. Mainly it was the sun, and all of the little kids running around in their bathing suits in the sprinklers, much like I did when I was young. Other than that burst of nostalgia, there were just some silly things which were being sold that I almost bought. A dress(it wasn't even my size!) with wild feathers everywhere, electric blue high heels(again, not my size), baby clothes from the 80's, and so many other things. Now, maybe at one time these things were in and hip, but today they just seem stupid or shameful to wear out in public. What does that say about us as people? All of these trends and styles and such that last for what, a month? And then we move on again. Why, though? I mean, I'm perfectly fine with the style of clothes which I've chosen for me, and it sure would save me time and money by only buying a cooler version for Summer, a warmer/layered version for Winter, and then some active wear and loungy/sleepwear. But no, every spring and fall I take one giant shopping trip to get new clothes that are a new style that I don't know how to wear or whether or not it looks good, and I get frustrated. There's so much pressure to look like everyone else, to have your hair like everyone else, and I want to know why. Why do I have to walk around with only little tiny scraps of clothing on with gallons of makeup and straight hair? Why do all of my guy friends have to dress in preppy styles so that they don't get their cars keyed(we have some strange people on our campus)? You know what little warriors? My task for you is to dress how you want to. Don't conform. If you only want to wear tshirts, wear tshirts. If you want your hair curly, wear it curly. Guys, you don't have to be some sort of pothead jock, and girls you don't have to be a slut. Be strong little warriors, and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment